Thursday, February 3, 2011

Oscar Predictions!

I shouldn't care about the Academy Awards because they are stupid, self-congratulatory and rarely make the correct decisions. But I do, I do care. I have cared immensley since I was 7 years old. And every year, I like to make predictions! I am a geek! So, here are my Oscar predictions. I took out categories that I don't know ANYTHING about like sound mixing and short film animations and what not. The name in bold is the one I think is going to win, the name in italics is the one I think SHOULD win. The catagories are alphabetical order, except best picture which I will do last.

Actor in a Leading Role

Javier Bardem in “Biutiful”
Jeff Bridges in “True Grit”
Jesse Eisenberg in “The Social Network”
Colin Firth in “The King's Speech”
James Franco in “127 Hours”
Did you guys SEE "The King's Speech". Yaaawn. Totally one of those movies made just for Oscar related reasons. The reason Colin Firth is going to win is because they love giving Oscars to actors who play people who have a disability, are historical figures, or who really hate Nazis. Colin Firth's role had all three. And last year he was nominated for "A Single Man", which he was quite good in, despite the fact that it was a pointless movie, and sometimes they give out awards just to make up for slights from previous years. James Franco was obviously better, he carried the entire movie "127 Hours" and he was sad and funny and great and the movie was basically just "don't you love James Franco?" to which everyone answered a resounding "YES!". But he won't win because a) the Academy probably doesn't think he's seasoned enough and b) he's hosting the show so people are probably worried that this will be some kind of interference. At least he's hosting, so everyone can still get a full dose of Franco. And definetly look for him to win one within the next five years.

yesss (but no)


nooo (but yes)



Actor in a Supporting Role

Christian Bale in “The Fighter”
John Hawkes in “Winter's Bone”
Jeremy Renner in “The Town”
Mark Ruffalo in “The Kids Are All Right”
Geoffrey Rush in “The King's Speech”
If Christian Bale doesn't win this, the academy is even more retarded than I previously thought. He's pretty much swept the other award shows, he's always done consistently good work (except in Batman, he sucks in Batman), and he acted the SHIT out of that role. Was it over-acting? Maybe. But it was still hella entertaining and believable. So he'll win. These other bozos don't stand a chance. Ok, Geoffrey Rush stands a small chance, but if they go in that direction, I will kill them. His character was so two dimensional and lame and his nose terrifies me.

Only man in the game


Actress in a Leading Role

Annette Bening in “The Kids Are All Right”
Nicole Kidman in “Rabbit Hole”
Jennifer Lawrence in “Winter's Bone”
Natalie Portman in “Black Swan”
Michelle Williams in “Blue Valentine”
Natalie Portman is EVERYWHERE all of a sudden. She just bulldozed her way to the top of the a-list this year. I haven't seen "Black Swan" because it sounds really gross, but she has been winning all the other awards and they never give awards to people from movies no one really saw (that means ALL the other nominees in this category). Michelle Williams should win, though. I haven't even seen "Blue Valentine", I just know she is always amazing and she is lovely and I just want her to win because I like her. I'm going to try to see the movie this weekend and it will no doubt prove my suspicions that she is awesome at acting and at being cool.

Yaaay!


Whateva


Actress in a Supporting Role

Amy Adams in “The Fighter”
Helena Bonham Carter in “The King's Speech”
Melissa Leo in “The Fighter”
Hailee Steinfeld in “True Grit”
Jacki Weaver in “Animal Kingdom”
Man, "The Fighter" had a lot of fucking great acting in it. I don't really dig Amy Adams that much, but she was so good in that movie! So SASSY! Melissa Leo has been winning everything for her preformance, though. It's another one of those "We should have given this to you earlier" deals, from when she was in "Frozen River". Although Amy Adams had "Junebug" so what the fuck? Melissa Leo didn't have hardly anything to do in that movie, and Amy Adams was rad and played totally against type. Melissa Leo is ALWAYS a lower-class, abrasive-looking woman. But Amy Adams usually plays someone sweet and somewhat flustered. So, there you go. They are going to mess up again.

pretty good


hella good


Animated Feature Film

“How to Train Your Dragon” Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois
“The Illusionist” Sylvain Chomet
Toy Story 3” Lee Unkrich
Toy Story 3 will win. That is a certainty. But why? Why do people love this movie so much? Why was it the highest grossing cartoon of all time? I thought it was totally one of the most inferior Pixar movies. I was bored. I didn't laugh once. Booo. The only animated movie I saw this year and like was "Tangled" but it wasn't even THAAAT great. It was just pretty good. But the other nominees might be good, I just haven't seen them, so I am unable to speculate. I have downloaded "How To Train Your Dragon", though, so maybe I will get around to watching it and then think it was awesome. Maybe? I don't know. Fuck Toy Story 3, seriously.

I don't get it


Cinematography

“Black Swan” Matthew Libatique
“Inception” Wally Pfister
“The King's Speech” Danny Cohen
“The Social Network” Jeff Cronenweth
“True Grit” Roger Deakins

Black Swan will win because it is all fancy looking. Social Network should win because they managed to make something utterly boring (computer programming and going to college) look totally beautiful. It won't win, though. Black Swan will win.

this is all fancy


but this is actually much harder to do


Costume Design

“Alice in Wonderland” Colleen Atwood
“I Am Love” Antonella Cannarozzi
“The King's Speech” Jenny Beavan
“The Tempest” Sandy Powell
“True Grit” Mary Zophres
Boring people think TIm Burton movies are sooo craaaazy and creaaative. They aren't, they suck. TIm Burton is a hack and I don't give a shit about his crappy costumes or anything else. You know what I like? Good shit. Like the costumes in The Tempest. Helen Mirren has like this crazy cape made out of rags, and through part of it Russell Brand has on a dress, and Ben Whishaw plays Ariel in it (omg he's a fox) and at one point he has like these wings and it all looks so rad! Damn you, Academy Awards! But what if True Grit won it? That would be retarded, that movie had hella boring costumes.

You are not cool. You are Hot Topic.


This is what is cool


OK, I am getting all sleepafied now so I will finish this tomorrow, staring with "Directing"

1 comment:

  1. This is hilarious. Thanks for entertaining me on my lunch break yo!

    ReplyDelete