Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Menopause: The Musical



I have something very horribly embarrassing to announce. The staff MADE me go to a play called "Menopause: The Musical". And then I kind of liked it.
First, let's talk about all the things that are really very WRONG about me kind of liking "Menopause: The Musical". First of all, the topic. Back in the day my mom used to have, like, this medical support group in our house and I thought it was SO DORKY. I mean, who needs that? I certainly didn't have a puberty support group meeting in our house. "Puberty: The Musical could be cool, though, but only if they were making fun of it. Not if they were, like, trying to empower the pubescent. Ok, let's get back on topic, though. I think all those women always complaining about their menopause are wimps. I HAVE hot flashes (it's from my meds). It's annoying but it's not life alteringly horrible. And getting your period straight-up sucks. It's the worst. I will be so goddman happy when I stop getting my periods. I half want to get a hysterectomy after I'm done having kids and then just take hormone replacements. Just get all that junk out of there. So, yes, the people in "Menopause: The Musical" are def. makeing a mountain out of a mole hill. Of course, I don't ACTUALLY know what I'm talking about.
Then there were the songs. Oh lord, the songs. None of them were original music, but rather re-tooling of oldies. It was pretty brutal. Actual example lyrics: "I'm havin' a hot flash/ a tropical hot flash" (that's "Heat Wave"), "If you wanna know/ where the fat cells go/ it's in my hips" ("The Shoop Shoop Song (It's in His Kiss")). I mean, that is so DORKY! They had the soundtrack for sale! Imagine if your roommate bought that and played it all the time and actually liked it for serious. You might have to kill them.
But then, yes, shamefully, I enjoyed myself. I can't help it! I love all musicals! If a kick-line starts, I'm happy. So, just letting everyone know: I'm a total nerd-face.

No comments:

Post a Comment